Tuesday, January 11, 2011





Artist's Shop ~ Cynthia Varden Ceramics, Her Website ~ Cynthia Varden

O.k., time to drool! I adore the lovely, textured, beautiful pottery of Cynthia Varden. If you have a chance, visit her shop and website (links above) and let me know what you think!

Here's a little bit more about Cynthia's work:

"I am jealous of women with manicures because as a potter, I can never keep polish on for more than a few hours. Clay permeates not only my nails, but my home and my life.

Since age 13, through college and arty grad school, my skills in ceramics have evolved and grown to what you see today: gorgeous little pieces adorned with textured patterns you can stare at and touch for hours.

The inspiration for these patterns can come from anywhere - from European lace doilies and henna patterns from India to the traditional fabrics of West Africa & Bali.

I make the pieces here by hand on my potters wheel in my downtown Columbus, Ohio studio. I carefully do every step of the process including mixing my own translucent porcelain and making custom colors which you will not find anywhere else. This bright porcelain showcases the rich colors I use in my patterns and paintings. I painstakingly decorate each piece with pigmented clay which makes the patterns raised above the surface, so you can both see and feel the patterns.

My work has been exhibited & sold across the US."


**************************

If there was one new art form that you would like to take up in 2011, what would it be? Growing up I spent HOURS drawing, painting, and using pen and ink. My goal this year is to make time to draw...even simple illustrations. :)

7 comments:

  1. Wow, I LOVE these; great shape and texture! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are wonderful! I'm besotted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh what cute little vases!! I could see a whole window ledge full of them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, wow. LOVE! I will own some of her work someday. I will. Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi i love ur blog
    please take alook at mine
    http://girlynote.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. adorable! xx
    http://www.annawithlove.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely things here.
    I am from Brazil and visited your blog. I Have a musical blog, and I would like your visit.
    We would be virtual friends... www.temperomusical.blogspot.com
    Regards,
    Claudia Ka.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments. Your thoughts, opinions, and ideas are important to me!

~ Vicki