Sunday, May 16, 2010

Artist/Designer ~ Laura from Laura Amiss









Her Shop ~ Laura Amiss, Her Website ~ Laura Amiss Design , Her Flickr ~ Laura Amiss

"Hi my name is Laura and I am an English woman living in Amsterdam with my husband and slightly wild but lovely children. I am an illustrator and designer working with textiles and print.

I am a little obsessed with fabric. I graduated in Textiles from Goldsmiths College at the University of London in 2003.

I moved to Amsterdam in 2003 and started working in the costume Atelier of the National Ballet and Opera house, which was both amazing and daunting (not speaking that much Dutch at the time). I now work freelance as a designer and maker.

My handmade canvases are unique and are created using a selection of new and reclaimed fabrics. My work is composed of subtle lines and color combinations produced through layering, piecing and sewing fabrics together. I draw inspiration from my every day environment and hope that the way in which I recapture the landscape or moments of ordinary life allows people to appreciate them with a fresh perspective.

My two passions are textiles and illustration, I have endeavored to combine the two in my work."



********************

WHAT I APPRECIATE ABOUT LAURA'S WORK:

I love the vibrant colors, the fine details, and the feminine subjects... you can't top a girl holding an umbrella, in my opinion. :)

What do YOU appreciate about Laura's work?

8 comments:

  1. I am smitten with Laura's work! I love fabric, too, though I don't do much with it (yet). I love the simple, clean lines. They give a modern spin to a medium that is often traditional. Also, her pieces are light and airy and never look overworked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is really amazing work. Delicate and original - I love illustration and when you add texture and pattern to that, it becomes irresistible. Laura is an instant favorite (I have the perfect little spot on my wall for her piece, 'Across the Canal'). Thank you so much for sharing her work with us, Vicki!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comments, Silvana and Victoria. I know, I just love her style. Hope I can own a piece one day, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really beautiful work, Laura! I love how you blend illustration and textile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are all lovely, I really like the one of the houses. Very beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the stitching brings such clarity to each piece...very lovely work...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whimsy that you can touch, surfaces and textures, delicacy and dedication to detail... In love here :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my goodness... such lovely artwork... wonderful and so fun.... truly!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments. Your thoughts, opinions, and ideas are important to me!

~ Vicki